Friday, August 10, 2012

Vacation Next Week!

Well, we're not going anywhere exotic...just some days trips...but I am already looking ahead to being prepared for the days we will be doing some hiking...

I looked up some healthy travel snack ideas and got a few good ideas and saw a few that just didn't measure up...

One that stuck out were kale chips...I have made kale chips before and they are delicious...but I have found they need to be consumed pretty quickly...and they don't keep well...the crispy aspect disappears once they are put into a Ziploc bag...if anyone has a tip so this doesn't happen, please feel free to share!!!

If you haven't made kale chips before, they are super easy! And, kale is typically pretty cheap.
Preheat your oven to 350...wash the kale....spread on a greased cookie sheet and drizzle with EVOO...and then season with your favorite seasonings...I typically go for garlic, salt and pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes. I, of course, eat them immediately. Now, they don't appeal to everyone...just ask my husband...

photo from: healthymamainfo.com

Another healthy snack option I found, cold soup. Are you kidding me??? First off, who eats soup on a travel trip in the car? Secondly, I don't understand cold soup. Soup should be hot. Enough said.

What about roasted chickpeas? Anyone try them? What do they taste like? I am not a big bean nor pea fan....the texture is too weird for me. So, 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes...I might try it...not sure...I will let you know.

I don't know if I am going to get very creative with these snacks, but I know I will need to pack some things. Probably stick with apples, granola bars, almonds...we will also have something for lunch.

But, again, if you have any suggestions, I am definitely open to them!

If you're wondering where we are hiking, Bushkill Falls and Hawk Mountain...I am excited...just something about being in the great outdoors....found a pic of Bushkill Falls on google images to share...I hope to share some of my own next week!

courtesy of betterphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment