Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Back in the hometown....

Back in Hollidaysburg for a few days...came to see the parentals...which means, I wasn't on my computer all day!

Don't worry, before I left home, I was able to get a craft in!

This one was inspired by the plastic drawer overhauls I had seen on the Pin. It showed you can take your set of clear plastic drawers and put scrapbook paper in the front and whatnot and they bright and shiny and new (well sort of)

Now, there is only so much you can do for a set of plastic drawers that has been around for 13 years!!!! As I was cleaning them out today with Clorox wipes, I couldn't believe how long the drawers had survived, nonetheless, all of the different thing that had been put in them! They started out as a purchase for my new dorm room in 1999!!! From there they traveled back and forth for 4 years...moved to Dover, DE and I can't remember what I used them for there...back up to PA and were used in the kitchen...down to FL and stored food....back up to PA to now be used for extra clothes storage...I can't believe the drawers are still in one piece!

So, I rambled on there for a good reason...a few of the "pins" tell you to do them over with Modge Podge...I understand why...they will last...and it will probably look nicer...but that also means it is permanent. And, clearly, I can't make anything permanent in this set of drawers...so I went with packing tape!

What you will need:
*scrapbook paper
*ruler
*scissors
*stickers
*drawers
*wipes to clean the drawers out...I mean why not, they probably need it!

So, after cleaning...I measured the front of the drawer. Since this will be in my closet, there was no need to do the sides. If you are using it in your classroom and it will be "out" you might want to do the sides. That way it looks MUCH nicer.

Then, I cut the paper.

And then, labeled the drawers (again, organized, I like the black and white tank tops to be together... and all of the other colors in their own drawer)

I taped the paper to the drawers (I put the top piece of tape over the lip of the drawer)

And then, put the drawers back.

All in all, it took less than 30 minutes to complete and I feel even more organized than before!

I should have taken a before picture and an after picture for that matter...once I get home, I will take an after pic and upload it.

Should I ever have a classroom again, I am definitely going to do this! I like splashes of color and this is a relatively easy way to do it!  Happy scrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment