Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spicy Sweet Corn and Steak Salad

Super light...scrumptious taste...incredibly healthy!
 

It is going to be a bit harder for me to write the directions for this because I definitely made this dinner on a whim...
 
I would suggest to use your favorite vegetables in your salad...I just opened the refrigerator and grabbed all the vegetables we had and started chopping...but I would stay with the corn suggestions...especially if you are going to use "hotter" peppers...
 
My Ingredients:
  • 2 flank steaks
  • 1 can sweet corn
  • 1 poblano pepper, diced
  • 1 chili pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
  • red and yellow pepper
  • cilantro
  • cucumber
  • tomato
  • onion
  • romaine lettuce
  • salsa
  • 1-2 t. ranch dressing
  • salt and pepper
  • seasonings/rubs you would enjoy on your steak...I used a cajun rub and some chili powder
The Corn Concoction
I sprayed a pan with some PAM and then let it heat on med/low setting. Then, I put the corn in for a few minutes (covered). Then, I put in the poblano, chili, jalapeno (with some seeds) in with the corn and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Again, covered it and let it simmer. A couple of minutes later, I added some cilantro. All in all, this cooked for approximately 8 minutes total (start to finish)...next time I might allow the corn to brown...

The sweetness of the corn goes well with the "spiciness" of the peppers...

I poured this concoction over the chopped salad and tossed it all together.

My Dressing:
I poured about 3/4 c of salsa on top and then added a teaspoon of ranch dressing on top of that and tossed it all together. This cuts down on the calories because the main ingredient in the dressing is the salsa...

I put the salad in the refrigerator to chill for about an hour.

Cook your flank steak to the temperature you prefer and add it on top. It goes well with a cold salad or you can put it on top immediately.

Some options...you could add in avacado...or guacamole...you could add in tortilla chips...you can always add in some sour cream if you prefer...the possibilities are endless :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment