Thursday, August 2, 2012

Crayon Art...this isn't for toddlers

I hopped on board the crayon art craze partly because I have a challenging room to decorate in our new home...check it out:

Yes, this is our dining room. Yes, we bought the house this way. Yes, it is bold, but I love it! It isn't for everyone, but for me, it's the perfect dining room. (although, Christmas decorating will be a challenge!)

With the exception of the orange wall, the other walls are bare...

Crayon Art

You will need:
-blank canvas
-paint (if you want to paint the canvas first)
-glue gun and sticks
-multiple boxes of crayons (depending on the size of the canvas..you will need at least 2)
-hairdryer
-newspaper (for the splatter zone)
-tape for your newspaper

How To:
-Paint your canvas (if you want a background other than white)...I painted mine black because I wanted to tie in the black frames I used on the orange wall...
-Categorize your crayons the way you will want them on your canvas (match up the colors)

-Glue each crayon onto your canvas (I made sure the word CRAYON was facing the same way for each)
sorry the image is a little bit fuzzy, I wanted to zoom in and see they were all facing the same way
**make sure clean the glue webs off of the canvas**
-Prepare your "splatter zone" (the crayons WILL splatter)
I overdid the splatter zone, but it's better to be safe than sorry



HAIRDRYER steps...if I were to do this again, I would have better technique

-I wasn't quite sure the best angle to hold my hairdryer and it didn't take long to realize that the HIGH setting and the angle I was at was very wrong....the green went everywhere and it went everywhere FAST
see the diagonal colors? the setting was WAY too high


-So, MEDIUM is the way to go (hottest setting though!) and I angled the hairdryer down. I was getting frustrated when the other colors were dripping before the colors I was heating were...but I am a control freak in that regard....
Angle your hairdryer down on MEDIUM


-Eventually, I was pretty happy with how the top was going...then, I looked further down the canvas and I saw a glob of wax...I positioned the hairdryer angled down and on HIGH heat...heated it really quick to break up the glob...

Finished product

-Overall, it is personal preference of how long you want your drips to go...some of my drips went diagonally, which I'm okay with now...but I would try really hard for that not to happen next time...

-Now, I just have to figure out which green wall I want it on...

2 comments:

  1. I think I am going to try this with the girls! Love the Blog, Stace! I need to join Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they will love it! especially if they get to choose their own colors! crayons are on sale right now at walmart...go and stock up!
    send pictures after you do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete