Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Protein Cookie...........let down (so sad)

I had such HIGH hopes for this recipe! Not only due to the fact that I LOVE cookies, but I would also LOVE to have a breakfast substitute for my morning protein shake.

The recipe ingredients also included everything I LOVE to eat...so I thought this was a match made in heaven...now, I don't want to say I have given up on this recipe...I will try it again with different ingredients...

But, here is the play by play of my morning cookie baking...

First, this is a recipe adapted from Watching What I Eat (which is a GREAT blog...I think I could spend an entire day reading her blog!)

Peanut Butter Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed until smooth & creamy
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter ~ creamy or chunky (I used both and a little bit more than suggested) 
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp butter flavor extract ** (I didn't use this, next time I think it is a MUST!)
  • 1 1/2 cups quick oatmeal ~ uncooked
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds, sunflower seeds)
  • 2 t. of flax seed...I added this
  • (she also suggested 1/4 cup carob or chocolate chips)
Step by Step
I followed her directions exactly...(to get the exact instructions you need to go to her website! She also has ALOT of substitution suggestions...)

Preheated the oven to 350 degrees

Mashed the banana (which grossed me out because I hate different textures)

Added the peanut butter, applesauce, protein powder...etc.
I did notice when I mixed everything together, the batter wasn't as dense as "usual" batter is. Which may also have had something to do with my end result...
Then, baked them for 30 minutes.

Now, I didn't use parchment paper...probably a reason why my cookies turned out like little pucks...and hers look flat and delicious..

Things I didn't like about my batch...the banana was WAY too overpowering...next time, I think I am going to stick with just applesauce. Also, I think I would put a little bit more peanut butter and peanuts in and less of the "extra" nuts. Additionally, I would use parchment paper...I didn't have any, therefore I didn't use any...

I hope to try this recipe again...especially since it means eating cookies for breakfast!

Now, not all was lost in this recipe...while the cookies were baking I did throw a brushetta mixture together to sit in the refrigerator all day...DEFINITELY looking forward to that for dinner tonight! Just have to run out and get some fresh bread...mmmmmmmmm....

**If you are interested in this mixture recipe...let me know! And, I will post it later!

No comments:

Post a Comment