Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Homemade Guacamole

I am, by no means, an expert on the best guacamole...but I do stand by the fact that homemade guacamole is BY FAR more delicious (and healthier) than anything else...

I only have one exception...when you visit Carlos-N-Charlies and the Guacamole Boy makes you his guac...THAT, my friend, is and always will be the most delicious in my mind...


I never measure my ingredients for this recipe...I am more of an "eyeballer," and it also depends on the size(s) of the avacados you are using...

Here I have gathered all of the things I use to make this recipe...

Ingredients: (all measurements...are guesstiments...like I said)
  • 2 avocados
  • 1/4 red pepper
  • 1/2 jalapeno, diced
  • 1/8 tomato, diced
  • 1/8 onion, diced
  • 1/8 c. cilantro
  • fresh lime juice or lime juice 
  • Frank's Red Hot
  • Tabasco
  • salt and pepper
What To Do: (it doesn't matter which order you go in...all of the ingredients have to get mashed in a bowl...simple enough)

-Slice avocado, put into a bowl with a flat bottom (makes mashing easier)


-Dice the veggies. I try to make the pieces as small as possible.
Little tiny pieces of pepper

This giant onion is from Barroner's in Hollidaysburg, PA...gotta love hometown veggies!
 

(*for the jalapeno, keep the seeds if you like it hot or discard the seeds for a more mild taste*)

I have a few seeds...this pepper just smelled hot!

-Put everything on top of each other in the bowl. Add in a few splashes of Frank's Red Hot and Tabasco sauce. Couple splashes of lime juice. Salt and Pepper to taste. (I tend to do a bit of tasting in these next few steps...)

-Mash everything together.

And, there it is...your own homemade guac that YOU know what is in it! And, A LOT less sodium than those premade bowls or packets...and the mashing part provided a little bit of stress relief too...BONUS!

-A tidbit I learned thru the years...if you place Cling-Wrap to the top of the guacamole, it won't turn brown. So, I put it directly on top and then I put the lid on it. (Not gonna lie, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...)

-Refrigerate until chilled before eating.


**I was right about the jalapeno...with the few seeds that went in...this guac is HOT!!! Proceed with caution!

No comments:

Post a Comment