Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tortellini and Veggie Shrimp Bake

I found a recipe that intriqued me on recipe.com. But, of course, I wanted to adapt it to meet the needs of what my refrigerator had to offer...that is probably where I went wrong...I should have stuck more to the plan...although, now, looking back...I know what I would change should I make it again....

So here is my adapted recipe...
(original: recipe.com)

Tortellini and Veggie Shrimp Bake

Ingredients:

10 oz. refrigerated tortellini (cheese-filled)
1/2 c. sugar snap peas
1 T. butter
1 pound frozen shrimp
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. whole wheat flour
1 T. garlic powder
1 cup skim milk
1 8-oz pkg fat free cream cheese
1 T. lemon juice (squeezed from a lemon)
1/2 c. halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1 c. califlower
2 T. grated cheese

Directions:

(Preheat oven 350 degrees F if you are going to cook it right after throwing it together)
1. Cook the tortellini and with one minute remaining throw in the snap peas to cook. Drain all together in a strainer.
2. While cooking the tortellini, heat the butter in a skillet and then add the shrimp. Add the shrimp to the strainer.
In the empty skillet, cook your peppers and other veggies for a couple of minutes. Add to the strainer when finished.
3. Whisk together: chicken brother, oregano, flour, garlic powder. Add to the skillet with the cup of milk. Cook and stir until the broth thickens (I added more flour because it wasn't thickening...) Add softened cubed cream cheese. Stir until the sauce is smooth.
4. Remove from heat. Squeeze in lemon juice.
5. In a PAM sprayed 13x9 inch shallow casserole dish, pour the contents from the strainer into the  the dish and then dump the sauce over top.
6. Add the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grated cheese.
7. Bake, (I baked it uncovered) for 30-35 minutes.

You can make it and put it into the refrigerator and then bake it when you are ready.


Some Things I Would Change...

1. Definitely use chicken instead of or in addition to the shrimp. The shrimp was delicious in the sauce, but the casserole tasted like it needed some chicken.
2. CAJUN SEASONING! I would coat my meat and my veggies in cajun seasoning...the casserole was missing some essential flavorings...and that, is and always will be my go to seasonings...
3. Use asparagus or broccoli or spinach...the califlower just didn't do it for me...I would also add some onion and maybe some freshly minced garlic...



No comments:

Post a Comment