Tuesday, July 31, 2012

So Much Zucchini...Let's Make Some Bread!

As I previously mentioned, my neighbor handed me a gigantic zucchini last night. There was no way we were going to be able to eat all of it this week for dinner...(and not get tired of it) and as fate would hold, a former high school classmate of mine recently got back into touch with me and had shared the recipe he uses as a base for when he bakes (thanks Matthew!), so I let fate take its course...

The original recipe can be found at allrecipes: All Recipe's Zucchini Bread

I wanted to make it a wee bit healthier, so I made a few changes (side note: there are probably a few more things I could change, but I didn't make a lot because I never tried this recipe before...)

Ingredients:
*3 cups WHOLE WHEAT flour
*1 teaspoon salt
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
*2 eggs & 1 egg white
*1 cup vegetable oil
*2 and 1/4 cup sugar
*2 cups grated zucchini (I used a bit more)
*1 cup oats
*2 Tablespoons Flax seed
(omitted walnuts...didn't have any)

I followed the recipe as far as steps, but my batter didn't exactly "pour" into the pans...in fact, I had to mix the oats and zucchini into the batter by hand. (my hands were clean) :)

And, they took A LOT longer to bake than I thought they would. I started checking at 40 minutes and continued checking with a tester every 5 minutes. In total, I probably baked for a little over an hour.



But, I can't complain. My house smells heavenly right now and it was a great afternoon snack...now I just have all of this zucchini bread I need to get rid of...

Again, thank you Matthew!!! I strive to become an accomplished baker and gardener like you!





No comments:

Post a Comment