Monday, July 23, 2012

No-Sew Halter Top

Since I had a Large men's shirt leftover from the tshirts I made for our color run, I searched Pinterest for an idea of what to do with it...as of right now, I do not own a sewing machine...I hope to acquire one soon...so I had to look for a pattern that didn't include actual sewing...

So, I came across this "pin" for a no-sew halter top
(http://foundintheali.blogspot.com/2010/04/woo-hoo-this-is-going-to-be-my-first.html)

Seemed simple enough and hers was adorable. Mine was just a white tshirt...so it wasn't going to be as cute.

Anyway, I laid the tshirt on my kitchen table and cut off the sleeves and the neck (like she did)
Now, I cannot cut in a straight line, so I was very skeptical of how this was going to turn out. (sorry the picture is sideways...)

Next, she said to turn the shirt to the side...this is where I realized my problem of not being able to cut in a straight line did come up...when I turned it side ways I did have to cut a little bit more from the sleeves (so they would line up)...meaning the V was the same on each side

Plus, the V wasn't exactly a V, so I had to do a little bit of extra cutting...

The third step had me cut off a strip from the neckline...and then stretch it so it curls up a bit and then tie it to the front of the shirt.
Fourth, turn the shirt over and cut 4-5 inch strips in from each side of the V.
I did pull the ruler our for this one...I was afraid the sides needed to meet up...I realized later I stressed way too much about this step...

So, I tied the two sides together (I had to do it twice because, of course, I missed a strip)
This step almost made me realize how big this shirt actually was because at the bottom of the V there was a bunch of extra fabric...as you can see...
So, I retied the strips so they were a bit tighter and I tried to reposition the extra fabric.
Here are some pics of the finished product:

Final verdict...I couldn't wear this shirt by itself and it's a little bit to "boxy" for me...that being said, it is really comfy since it is so big...
In the future, I might try and make it a bit more "decorative"...I have seen some ideas I could incorporate with this...so we will see...at least it isn't a boring large white (mens) t-shirt...

No comments:

Post a Comment