Saturday, July 28, 2012

Grilled Pizza...ever try it? You should!

Many years ago, I was at my Aunt and Uncle's house outside of Boston when I had my first grilled pizza. It was delicious! Better than any pizza I had ever had.

Many, many years later I still couldn't get the taste out of my head, so I told Ryan we had to try it. From there, I played around with different toppings. My favorite is what I call bruschetta pizza.

Bruschetta Pizza
Ingredients:
-premade pizza crust (thicker crusts work better on a grill)
-your choice of sauce (I typically go with Boboli prepackaged pizza sauce)
-fresh tomatoes
-fresh mozzarella (the ball)
-fresh basil* (stay away from dry basil for this recipe)
-1-2 garlic cloves
-shredded pizza blend cheese
-EVOO
-salt and pepper


Steps: (turn the grill on high until 500 degrees then turn to low)
1. Slice tomatoes, cut the mozzarella into cubes (you decide how much you want), and chop up basil leaves.
2. Slice garlic cloves and saute over medium heat with a bit of EVOO.
3. Spray the pizza crust with PAM spray and then cover with pizza sauce.
4. Cover the sauce with the shredded pizza cheese blend. Then, put your tomato slices, basil and mozzarella cubes, and sauted garlic on top. (you can sprinkle some salt and pepper on)
5. Place the pizza directly on the grill (slide it from a cookie sheet)
6. Grill on low for 3-4 minutes and then spin the pizza crust and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes (for your first few tries, periodically check the bottom of the pizza for burning)
7. Transfer back to the cookie sheet with the help of a spatula.
8. MAKE SURE YOU WAIT a few minutes before eating...otherwise, you mouth will be hurting tomorrow!

Here are some pictures from the pizza I made last night. It isn't a bruschetta pizza. I used red peppers, onions, cilantro, and mexican cheese...call it cleaning out the fridge pizza...

Prior to grilling...my toppings are under the cheese...it is personal preference


Pizza on the Grill...after the second spin

Done!


Feel free to let me know what toppings you try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment