Thursday, July 19, 2012

You're Not Fully Clean...until you use VINEGAR!

On my "Zestfully Clean" Pinterest board, I have a few "pins" about different ways to clean things in your house. I have tried the one with the cup of vinegar in the top tray of dishwasher...I ran the dishwasher and it did smell like vinegar...I wasn't sure how "clean" the dishwasher got...the smell was quite strong, so I poured some baking soda around the bottom and wiped it clean. The spots (which I would assume was mold) came right off. Then, I ran the dishwasher again, hoping the vinegar smell would go away and surprisingly it did! So, I would definitely do this again.

I also used the white vinegar to clean my Keurig. I never thought that I needed to clean it, but I used to clean my coffeepot, so I'm not sure why I didn't think I needed to clean my Keurig. I kept the outside clean and would put the reservoir in the dishwasher, but never thought about the "insides." I filled my Keurig halway with the white vinegar and starting running some delicious cups of hot vinegar...once the vinegar was out...I filled the Keurig with water and ran and ran and ran the water thru...it still smelled like vinegar. It took almost 3 full resevoirs of water for the smell to disappear. I will say I was still timid when I went to brew a cup of coffee the next morning, but thankfully, all was clean and delicious.

One final vinegar cleaning tidbit, one you PROBABLY never would have thought of...but I came across it when I "googled" DIY floor cleaners...and this is what this particular website (I cannot remember the site name) these are the items it told me to use on my floor:
Yes, you do see a bottle of vodka...if you know anything about my family...you know that this is a no-go...and yes, I know, it is an fairly expensive bottle of vodka, but again, vodka isn't consumed very much in this house (and no, he hasn't tried the potato vodka...truthfully I don't know who would run that risk, knowing what happens) Anyway, the recipe was 1 cup of vinegar, 1 cup of vodka, 2 T. of dish soap, 2 T of baking soda (and "essential oils"...I don't have essential oils laying around) and hot water...
I then got on my hands and knees and scrubbed my kitchen floor (which felt like an enternity)...once it was dry...I performed my "white socks" test...for once, my white socks were still clean after I cleaned! WOOHOO vodka!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment