Monday, October 22, 2012

Easy Empanadas

Basically, this is a turnover. A super simple turnover...depending on what you want inside of it. Using a refrigerated pie crust, you can cut the time of having to make your own dough. I have made this with a variety of "fillings." I have used a beef filling (with mexican flavorings) for the same amount of time as the recipe below. What I like about this recipe, is you can make it what you want.

Honestly, I had forgotten about this easy recipe until I was making this week's menu. I realized I hadn't made empanadas for awhile, and I thought I would try this filling instead of using beef....not exactly a "Latin-American" recipe....but nonetheless a yummy recipe...and this MAY be better than the beef recipe I have used...



Buffalo Chicken Empanadas

Makes 2 empanadas

Ingredients

*1 refrigerated pie crust (divided in half)
* Buffalo Chicken Recipe chicken (crock pot chicken)
*diced red, green pepper (1/4 c.-1/2 c.)
*diced onion (1/4 c.-1/2c.)
*cilantro (1 T.)
*shredded mexican cheese (1/2 c.)
*salt and pepper
*chili powder
Optional: salsa and/or sour cream for topping

Step by Step

1. Follow the steps for the Buffalo Chicken Crock Pot recipe.
2. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
3. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion and peppers. Once the onions are soft, add in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine the peppers, onions and cilantro with the chicken.

5. Spray a baking sheet with PAM. Unroll pie crust.
6. Cut in half. Spoon chicken mixture over one side of each half.

7. Top with cheese (or wait and top with cheese after baking)

8. Fold over filling and pinch the side. Vent the top a few times by stabbing with top with a fork.

9. Top with chili powder (if desired)
10. Bake for 10-15 minutes.


Top with sour cream, cheese, and or salsa. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment