Monday, October 15, 2012

Continuing my "fiesta" theme with SOUP!

First, let me preface with this, I am the worst soup maker! I am not exaggerating. I have tried before and ultimately have failed every time! I'm not sure why...I would follow the recipes...I would watch people make soup on television...but for whatever reason, I am NOT a soup maker.

Since I do not enjoy being defeated, I thought I would try again. When I found this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to try this recipe and I wanted to do it last week when the weather was cooler, but I didn't have a morning where I could put it together in the crock pot...

So, today is the day...thankfully it is cloudy (now), so I can look outside of my window and think that it is cooler (not that i'm complaining...I don't enjoy being cold)...anyway....

Here it goes....

Zippy Chicken Soup

(Inspired by Chicken Enchilada Soup by Home Is Where the Holmans Are)

Ingredients (I apologize...there are A LOT)

*2 chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
*1 green pepper, diced
*1 red pepper, diced
*1 small yellow onion, diced
*1/2 to 1 jalapeno, sliced (and seeded if you prefer)
*4 cloves garlic, minced
*1-2 diced fresh tomatoes
*2 c. frozen corn
*1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
*1 c. uncooked rice
*1 can tomato paste
*2 tsp SoFrito sauce (or enchilada sauce)
*1 tsp. ground cumin
*1 tsp. chili powder
*4 c. chicken stock
*1 c. salsa
*fresh cilantro (1/4 c. and enough for garnish)
*pepper jack cheese (shredded)
*tortilla chips
(optional: sour cream)


(I told you it was a lot!)

Step by Step

Basically, you need to put all of the above ingredients into the crock pot. It doesn't matter the order. I started with the chicken stock and the "liquid" ingredients. Then, whisked those together.


Then, I threw everything into the liquid (with the exception of the cheese and chips.) Stirring occassionally. I cubed the chicken and put that in last.




Cook time 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 on low.

When it is time to serve the soup, mix in cheese and cilantro. Top with chips and sour cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment