Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I made a PIE! An APPLE PIE!

I will make no excuse, I will never be my mom. My mom is the best baker I have ever known and she is ALWAYS baking! Seriously, for fun she will turn out like a million pies...just because. And, this isn't limited to just pies...she doesn't discriminate....cakes, cookies, brownies...she is equal opportunity. It is a wonder I wasn't a million pounds growing up...

My mom is a supreme baker and I never aspire to be like her. She is in a league of her own...not that she doesn't try to influence me...and well, I did bake a pie yesterday...it just wasn't to the Mama Benton standards...I didn't make my crust from scratch like she does...instead...I take after my grandmother and bought the crust from the store! :)

That being said, I am using my mom's recipe for the apples...so her crust recipe is safe...I just had to share because this was so easy, even I could do it! And, I found that the filling really isn't THAT bad for you...now as long as you don't eat the entire pie and get all of the calories from the crust...this is a relatively "ok" dessert...

Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients

*8-10 apples, thinly sliced (got for tart apples...not sweet...I used a variety)
*3/4 c. lite brown sugar
*2 T. whole wheat flour
*1 tsp. cinnamon (I may have been a bit more generous)
*a shake of nutmeg
(Dont Forget...*refrigerated pie crust)

Step By Step

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
2. Combine the sliced apple with the dry ingredients. I used my hands to make sure all of the apples were covered.
3. (obviously) Line the pie pan with the bottom crust, fill with the apple mixture, and top with the top crust.
4. Wet the sides of the crusts to make sure they stick! Then, vent the top...I went for the heart look.

Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Check the bottom of the pie...if it looks wet...it NEEDS more time. My pie took about an hour and 15 minutes to bake entirely...

This pie made my husband very happy...Apple Pies are his favorite...but it is NO WHERE near as delicious my mom's apple pie...I am looking forward to that at Thanksgiving!

1 comment: