Sunday, January 6, 2013

Warm or Cold, you decide with this Pasta Dish!

At Wegman's, they sell a delicious pasta salad in their deli section. I love it, but it took me a few times to actually wonder why I was buying it when I was a pretty good cook and could make it myself. So, I did my best guessing as to what was in it (for the most part it was pretty easy, but I also had to think of how I would make it better)...of course, I used red pepper flakes to make it even better (in my mind)

"Pughman's" Pasta Salad

Ingredients

*5 garlic cloves, minced
*1/2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
*1 ball of mozzarella cheese, cubed
*1 c. fresh basil leaves
*1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
*1/2 (and a pinch or two more) red pepper flakes
*sea salt and pepper
*pasta (about a pound)...I used the "leftover" pasta I had in the cabinet

Step by Step

1. Combine garlic, tomatoes, sea salt, red pepper flakes and a few leaves of basil in with the EVOO in a pan. Heat over very low heat. Bring to a simmer. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn. You may want to wait a bit before adding the garlic to ensure it doesn't burn.

2. Cook the pasta according to package directions. (I had to do a bit of creative cooking due to the different noodles I used)

3. Drain the pasta. Put into a large bowl. Pour the contents of the pan over the pasta. Add cheese and rest of the basil. Season with salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Stir.

This recipe is EVEN BETTER the next day. So, refrigerate. Serve cold or warm. (Side effect of warming....the cheese will clump with the noodles)

Another possibility...add some chicken or shrimp to add in the protein component!

No comments:

Post a Comment