Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY Glittery Drinking Glasses

You all have seen it on Pinterest or at least you have seen a version on it somewhere...

Well, I decided since it was glittery and seemed easy to do, I thought I would try.

I didn't go out and buy glasses, I had some in our china-less "china" cabinet, so the  only thing I needed to buy was glitter. That being said, here is what you need...

Materials:

-glasses
-Mod Podge
-brush
-plastic cup
-blue painters tape
-water resistant sealer
-drop cloth (or paper to protect the surface you're working on)
-sprinkle glitter...I suggest using Martha Stewart's Essential Color Glitter...it is FANTASTIC!
-plastic bags (1 for each glass)

Directions:

1. Make sure your glasses are clean! Then, tape off the bottom (or however high) you want the glitter to go.


2. Now, there are two options. I started by painting the Mod Podge on the stem and then poured the glitter on. After a few coats of that, I poured some Mod Podge in a cup and then poured some glitter in and mixed it in.
**Both options worked, the reason I mixed the two after a few coats, I noticed that there wasn't enough glitter to my liking. Plus, it made a thicker coat. Try NOT to get the Mod Podge on the blue tape...you will thank me later.
After each coat, let the glue dry completely!
See, too much Mod Podge on the tape :(


3. Cover the top part of each glass with a plastic bag (I used blue painters tape to keep the bag tight)

4. Spray your sealer over the glitter. In a wide open space!!!

5. Let the sealer dry completely. Remove the bags and the tape.

**The tape was VERY hard to get off of the glasses...I wasn't very dainty with the Mod Podge mixture, so it was very difficult to get the tape off...next time I will make sure not to Mod Podge the tape.

6. And, you probably think this is quite a process (and it is), but it is well worth it! But, remember...HAND WASH ONLY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment