Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fall means it's APPLE CRISP TIME!

As far back as I can remember, my mom would whip up an apple crisp at the drop of a hat during a cool Autumn evening. What stuck out more than anything was the smell that would drift through the entire house creating what felt like a warm winter blanket of flavorful fall deliciousness. And, that smell would truly tell me it was Fall...

Fast forward to today...I am finally back up North and I finally feel the cool breeze blowing through the windows and I see the tree leaves changing color...it truly is my favorite time of the year! So, it must be time to make my mom's apple crisp. (in case you're wondering, making apple crisp in Florida at this time of year doesn't quite cut it...)

First, you need to head to the store and buy a variety of apples. The one thing I have learned from my mom is the very best apple crisps are made with a mixed bag of apples. The apple varieties I used were: Braeburn, Jazz, Gala, MacIntosh, Honey Crisp, and the token tart Granny Smith apple.

(You can use other varieties, but these were the apples I picked up today. I have used Rome and Cortlands in the past.)

The token Granny Smith apple is added to mix because when it is mixed with the sweeter apples it adds in a bit of tart to the crisp.

And now, without further to do, my mom's AMAZING apple crisp recipe....(I hope she doesn't mind I'm sharing!)

Momma Benton's Heavenly Scented Apple Crisp

Ingredients

*approximately 3 pounds of apples (9 medium sized)
*cinnamon
*1 c. sugar
*3/4 c. whole wheat flour
*1/2 shortening
*1/2 c. water
*PAM spray

Step by Step

1. Preheat the oven 375 degrees and spray an 11x17 baking dish with PAM.
2. Slice the apples.
3. Sprinkle with cinnamon (my mom says a teaspoon, I don't measure I just sprinkle) and stir.

4. Pour apples into the baking dish and pour water over the apples.
5. In separate bowl, mix flour, sugar and shortening together.
6. Spread over the apples.

7. Bake for 45 minutes. If the topping isn't brown and crusty, bake for a few more minutes.

*I have had to bake my apple crisp longer than 45 minutes more often than not. It depends on the apples. So, keep an eye on it...I touch the top to check that it is crusty and I look for bubbles from my apples. If I see and feel those things, I think it's done.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! You have made me hungry for this! I'll have to wait until my hand is out of the splint so I can make it! Luv ya! mom

    ReplyDelete