Sunday, December 9, 2012

Short On Time & Need a Holiday Treat? Read On!

This continues my holiday "baking" theme...however, this isn't a "baking" treat, but a super simple and super quick holiday treat! Chocolate Covered Pretzels!!!

I wanted to add another treat to the basket of treats I am making for my husband's office and I wanted one that added some color to the entire basket...(bonus it is one that taps into the sweet tooth of my husband...)

Prior to this, I have melted chocolate and made chocolate covered strawberries. That was when we lived in Florida (by the way, if you haven't experienced a true Florida strawberry from Plant City, Florida...you haven't LIVED!) and if I had covered all of the strawberries and still had chocolate left over I would start throwing anything in....but for some reason, I never even thought about using these treats at Christmas...silly me.

Anyway, without further to do...


Chocolate Covered Holiday Pretzels

Ingredients
*1 bag of Snyder's "Olde Tyme" Pretzels
*1 bag unwrapped Hershey Kisses
*PAM spray
*wax paper
*variety of holiday themed sprinkles (and/or crushed peppermints)

**Set up is VERY important**
Cover the counter with wax paper.
Pour the sprinkles into bowls that allow the pretzels to lay flat when pressed into the sprinkles.
Put "whole" pretzels in a bowl you can pull from quickly.
Keep a spoon handy to continually stir the melted chocolate between pretzel dippings.

Step by Step Directions
1. Set up a double broiler. If you don't know what that is (or have an "official" one)...improvise, put water into a pan and place a bowl into the pan. (see below)

2. Set the heat setting to medium. Spray the bowl with PAM! Dump the Hershey Kisses into the bowl. (I didn't throw all of them in at once, as they melted I added more)

3. Keep the water to a low boil. It will take a while for the Kisses to melt. Keep stirring from time to time to rotate the chocolate. I don't know if this helps, but I also spray PAM on the chocolate a few times before I stir. (at most, I spray the chocolate 2 times)

4. Once the chocolate is melted, dip a pretzel in the chocolate. Tap extra chocolate off and even wipe the excess off the back on the side of the bowl.

5. Press into the sprinkles.

6. Lay on wax paper.

That's it! If you need the chocolate to set quickly...put them into the refrigerator. Otherwise, leaving them on the counter for awhile works. (some may disappear over the course of the day, but really, who can resist?)

I will DEFINITELY be making these every Christmas. Next year, I might try other types of chocolate...definitely add in some peanut butter. But, for a first time...I am very happy with this outcome! Happy Dipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment