Friday, December 7, 2012

M&M Christmas Cookies!

This is beginning to make me rethink my character...my third cookie recipe? Seriously? I still do not enjoy baking, but it is very helpful in giving me a mindless task to do! And, I am sure for some of us, we need that around the holidays!

So, this recipe was decided upon because of the mass amount of leftover Halloween candy. Now, I am sure some of you think that is rather ridiculous that we still have it, but we are not huge candy consumers. Therefore, I had to do something with it. What I was suprised about was the lack of the color red used in the 33 packs of plain M&Ms I opened.
Kind of ridiculous if you ask me...
 
Anyway, I separated the M&Ms and thankfully, I had more than enough...again, what is with the lack of the color red? This picture doesn't quite do it justice, but green was definitely the more popular color...
 
 
So, to go along with the lack of the color red, I also realized I didn't have cornstarch (which the recipe I was using called for and it was merely 1 tsp.), so I had to Google a replacement....it's cold and rainy outside...I wasn't about to run to the store for 1 teaspoon! Also, the recipe called for light SALTED butter..my husband picked up light SWEETENED butter....go figure.
 
Well, in the end, the cookies turned out to taste really good. Sweet, but delicious. And, very easy to make.
 
 
M&M Christmas Cookies
 
 
Ingredients

 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (and an additional tablespoon of flour to take the place of cornstarch)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (and an extra pinch if using sweetened butter)
1 cup light salted butter, chilled and sliced
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of red and green M&Ms
 
Step by Step Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. (If you haven't sliced the butter, do so now!)
 
3. In a bowl, mix butter and sugar. (best if you use a standing mixer, but I used a hand mixer and all was well!) Whip until creamy...it does become creamy, it takes while!

 
4. Once creamy, mix in egg and egg yolk. Stir in vanilla.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients. Once everything has been combined, stir in the M&Ms (a great arm workout!)
 
6. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
(Recipe based off of Cooking Classy recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment