Monday, March 11, 2013

A Spin on Penne with Spinach Sauce

I found this recipe the other day on the Food Network website. I was looking for something easy and quick. As I was scrolling through all of the recipes, I came across this one: Penne with Spinach Sauce

This is a Giada recipe and I did love it, but I wanted to add a little bit more of my own individual flair to it. So, I added sundried tomatoes, shrimp, and red pepper flakes. Also, I increased the amount of garlic by 1 clove. And, instead of goat cheese, I used ricotta cheese. All in all, I am very happy with the outcome. It is VERY garlicky, but quite tasty.

Another perk to this recipe, I got to use my brand new food processor. I LOVE IT (Barkley, on the other hand, isn't a fan...he barked the WHOLE time I used it. Oh well.)

A MAJOR DOWNFALL....don't make it and keep it for later..I made that mistake!!!! After I made it, I tried it and it was AMAZING, but then I had to put into the refrigerator because I had to go to spin class...I thought about this dish the ENTIRE TIME I was at the gym...well lo and behold...the sauce was soaked into the pasta when I reheated it and.....it wasn't as good...it was very tasty, but the creaminess wasn't there...and that was what made it so tasty when I tried it...oh well..you live and learn!

Shrimp & Penne with Spicy Spinach Sauce
Ingredients
1 pound penne pasta
3 sauteed garlic cloves
2 oz. ricotta cheese
1 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 package of fresh spinach
2 T. mozzarella cheese
2 t. red pepper flakes
4 sundried tomatoes
2 c. raw shrimp

Step by Step Directions
1. Saute the garlic. Cook for a few minutes (enough to cook it down a bit) half of the spinach in a pan with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Put the following into the food processor, sauteed garlic, ricotta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, cream cheese, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, mozzarella cheese and half of the spinach leaves. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside.



3. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Cook the shrimp until they are no longer pink.
4. Drain the pasta (keep 1 cup of the starchy water aside). Spoon the pasta over the slightly cooked spinach leaves. Then, scrape the cheese mixture over the pasta. Mix together. Pour the starchy water in (you might not need the entire cup of water, but you want to keep the pasta moist) Finally, toss the cooked shrimp in with pasta.






Serve with garlic bread for the true garlic lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment