Friday, June 27, 2014

Blueberry Season means Blueberry Muffins!

     One of my favorite summertime memories is the smell of blueberry muffins baking in my great-grandmother's kitchen. They didn't have air conditioning, so the kitchen was incredibly warm which (to me) makes the memory even more intense. My great grandmother was an incredible baker, so that may also lend to my memory. My mom inherited the baking gene...I just dabble from time to time. And today, well I was craving some blueberry muffins.

     I won't be able to recreate the incredible blueberry muffin experience from so many years back, but I will say right now with this recipe it is hard to stick to eating just one muffin. They are delicious!

(Again, terrible photographs, but the recipe is WORTH it. Trust me) 

Oh, and I had a some help from my little fur baby...

Blueberry Muffins

Muffin Ingredients
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. white sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/3 c. vegetable oil 
1 egg
1/3 c. skim milk
1 cup quick oats
1 cup blueberries

Crumb Topping Ingredients
2 T. white sugar
2 T. brown sugar
3 T. flour
3 T. butter* (see below)
1 t. ground cinnamon

Step by Step Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin pan or line with muffin liners. 
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, oats, and baking powder in mixing bowl. 
3. Combine vegetable oil, skim milk, and egg in another bowl. Mix this with the flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. 
4. Fill muffin cups to the top.
5. In another bowl, mix the crumb topping mixture together. Add the butter last. Use a fork to mix together. 

Top each muffin with the mixture. 
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. 

**Butter Note**
I tried something new. I used this as the "butter" for this recipe. I am loving this product. The crumb topping mixture was very greasy when I first mixed it together, but I was pleasantly surprised when the muffins were done baking. We have used this in place of our regular butter and have been very happy with the taste. I highly recommend it! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I need to try this recipe! I have blueberries!

    ReplyDelete